The following is a description of the common troubleshooting tools available for the Patch Management installation.
Patch Management Service
When Patch Management has been installed, a windows service called Patch Management Service is installed on the server where the WSUS 3.0 server is installed. This service is responsible for synchronization between WSUS 3.0 server and the CapaInstaller database. The service also performs all interaction with the WSUS 3.0 server. The following tasks are performed by the Patch Management Service.
All updates that reside on the WSUS 3.0 server are registered and updated in the CapaInstaller database.
Synchronize categories and classifications
All categories and classifications that reside on the WSUS 3.0 server are registered and updated in the CapaInstaller database.
Auto approve updates
If the auto approval rule has been set up, updates are approved and updated in the CapaInstaller database.
Various log files are made on the server where WSUS 3.0 is installed, these log files describe all events and errors that happen. The log files are located here:
- %programfiles%\CapaInstaller\Logs\Services\cipms.log. This is the main log for the Patch Management Service.
- %programfiles%\CapaInstaller\Logs\Services\SyncCategory\SyncCategory.log. This is the category synchronization log.
- %programfiles%\CapaInstaller\Logs\Services\SyncUpdates\SyncUpdates.log. This is the update synchronization log.
- %programfiles%\CapaInstaller\Logs\Services\Updates\AutoApproval__Main.log. This is the auto approval log.
- %programfiles%\CapaInstaller\Logs\Services\remoting\remoting.log.This log file contains all events that are performed against the WSUS 3.0 server.
These synchronizations are performed every hour in order to keep the Patch Management console up-to-date.